Monday, September 30, 2013

Is Mechanical Engineering HARD?


Is Mechanical Engineering Hard?

[I am interpreting this typical question as: “is getting a BSME Hard to do?” as opposed to the question of integrating resources to design & build a new product.]

     Because it really depends on the kind of person you are (or want to be), this question is really subjective. However, if you ask a recent graduate with little real world experience, you might get a resounding "YES!". (Now…you might want to sit back and put a few things into perspective before approaching your guidance counselor on your academic goals.)

     Take the following anecdotal story for example:

     A few years ago while working for a small engineering design firm, I walked into the "Dilbert" cubicle of a relatively young engineer. At the time, my role was focused on Financial Management for the enterprise. As I was new to the organization, I wanted to introduce myself to him. So, I looked curiously at his white-board and started asking him questions regarding the type of Pressure Vessel he was trying to design. His eyes widened as he looked up at me and said "You're in the Finance department, right?". To which I replied "Yes, but I have a Mechanical Engineering background".

"Oh…So your not a complete idiot!", he replied.

     Now, if you haven't been to Engineering school yet or you haven't at least passed your first semester of Physics, his response might be off putting to say the least. However, if you're an Engineer with a few years of experience and at least one other non-engineering degree, you - like me - continue the conversation with an understanding smile on your face. You see, what I'm trying to get at with this story is 1) Yes, Mechanical Engineering is VERY HARD [Just like skiing a double black diamond slope is VERY HARD for someone that's never skied before.] and 2) You WILL be proud of yourself once you've completed your degree - and sometimes - Chip-On-Your-Shoulder proud.

BUT (and MOST IMPORTANTLY)

3) Negotiating the REAL WORLD with all of the challenging political, financial, social, familial, legal,…decisions you'll have to make put Mechanical Engineering classes into perspective. Remember, a class of students is typically a controlled environment where all the answers are in the back of the book - or at least in a separate solutions manual. So, if I assert that Mechanical Engineering is "HARD", you have to put it into a larger perspective like that of a rain droplet being absorbed into the Pacific Ocean.

     As I said, answering the question "Is Mechanical Engineering Hard?" is really subjective. I'm very sure that other endeavors are harder. So, here's a list of things that I've ranked from my own personal experience from 1) "HARDEST" to 10) "EASIEST". I'm sure that the relative rankings will be different for everyone [Although the first 4 are private, know this - they are ALL from just living life]:

1) XXXXXXXX
2) XXXXXXX
3) XXXXXXXX
4) XXXXXXXX
5) Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
6) Master of Business Administration
7) Project / Program Management
8) Professional Engineering License
9) Android Application Development
10) Professional Financial Management
So, what are your thoughts? Please chime in – especially if you’re an Engineer     Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment